Friday 16 November 2012

Sanding.

When you think you smell something burning, you probably do. That one was the dust extractor blowing a fuse. I would like to maintain I had nothing to do with it (just happened to be passing by at the time), although it does feel like I've been camping out in the sanding room over the last two weeks.

Sanding has been one of the many unpleasant tasks that I am slowly trying to come to grips with (routing is still number one on the list). To be fair, sanding is less unpleasant with a gas mask on (sans slug - and don't even get me started on how that got in there! Needless to say that it was pretty unpleasant) and merely falls into the tedious category. Which is why I like to do my sanding in the evenings, when the room is empty and I can do a little jig and sing a little song to liven up the process without someone asking me if I am in pain/convulsions.

Despite this week being short (4 days! Yay!), its been a busy one. Apart from the sanding, routing and general project work (which despite all this does not really seem to be going anywhere), we've been doing a little brick building, making coopered boxes and learning how to use bendy ply to make curves.   All fantastic stuff, if a little knackering. Now if you'll excuse me, I might go for a wee walk in the woods.

The trick is glue sizing  first.
Brick build all clamped up. The gaps miraculously disappear on sanding.
Sanding the brick build into shape.
My brick build and coopered box. I was particularly proud of my brick build until I ruined it by sticking a base on it. It would have been alright if the base fit.
Laminated bendy ply. Better than routing.
Sticking various routed bits together, and sanding them down.







No comments:

Post a Comment