Thursday 12 September 2013

Asian adventure.

Greetings from the Far East - its been a while since I last wrote, and I have been keeping myself busy. Now that I find myself back in the lands of my home, where the sun shines and food is plentiful and oh-so-very tasty, I'm taking the opportunity to take a look around with a different set of eyes (so to speak), the eyes of a craftsperson seeking inspiration. 

These lands are beautiful, not just because of the landscapes that make them, but also because of the people and the cultures that populate them. The mouth-watering food instantly springs to mind, but more importantly, from a designer-maker’s perspective, there is a very strong tradition of quality woodworking (particularly carving) that is unique and beautiful in its simplicity. Especially when one considers that these things are often created whilst using quite limited tools.

Take my most recent trip to Myanmar - I've come back with several new projects in mind, and a few accessories to complement them to boot. I've previously mentioned how much I love dark wood having grown up in Asia, and it really is a joy being surrounded by it again. Most of the craft pieces in Myanmar seem to be made of teak, with a bit of bamboo thrown in, and I was lucky enough to see some of these mighty giants of the forest dotted around the place (being a woodworker though, all I could see was planks of beautiful wood!). I could witter on, but I guess a picture (or two) is worth a thousand words…


The mighty teak tree with its distinctive large leaves.
Carvings in the traditional fashion, often featuring lotus flowers/leaves as a motif.
More traditional carvings.
Limestone carvings using very similar techniques.
Rattan weaves used for furniture and housing.
A clever little carved cover to hide unsightly switches and sockets.
Background: Bamboo carvings (calendar), Foreground: Wee trinkets inspiring me to build a display box to show them off!
Brass door knockers which will make superb handles for a chest or perhaps some bedside cabinets or even a side table.

1 comment:

  1. Those brass door knockers will be a great conversation starter. Can't wait to see what they lead to.

    ReplyDelete