Thursday 20 December 2012

Happy holidays.

Finally. All done.
The end of term 1 has mysteriously crept up on us, going simultaneously fast and slow like a weird Twilight Zone time warp and I'm glad to be going home for the holidays. There's an overall sense of relief that I managed to finish my project in time, mixed with a dash of pride, although it all feels slightly anti-climatic really.

Reflecting on the last 10 weeks, I'm surprised at how much woodworking is not only a physical exercise but also quite a cerebral one. To be really good at it, one needs an active imagination and the ability to innovate. Whether its thinking up a jig to make the final piece more accurate or to save time, or puzzling out how to get a particular piece to fit when the wood just isn't behaving itself (shouting "that just won't do Stumpy" doesn't quite achieve the same effect). I have found that I am scarcely able to clamp up without the blessing of one of the tutors, whilst the others on the course seem have to entered into problem solving mode a little more readily. Perhaps its a lack of imagination, or the fact my brain seems only to work in straight lines, exacerbated by a lack of confidence, but I'm hoping that next term I will be able to do most (if not all) of my thinking on my own.

Anyways, I hope you've had a lovely 2012, here's to a merry and restful Christmas. See you all in the new year.
Ta

2 comments:

  1. Stumpy looks awesome. You can be very proud of what you've achieved so far Mae.

    See y ou Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! Can't wait to catch up then. x

      Delete