Friday 22 February 2013

A Jonathan.

So there was a request for this week - that I quit with the sad making and get on with the happy stuff. So instead of talking about my project and what's (not) going on there, I thought I'd share a bit more about what I've learnt up here in the cold North. Because let's face it, I've learnt a lot - from how to use various sharp implements correctly, to how to fill cracks and holes with everything from resin to plastic wood. I never thought I'd also improve my lexicon in my time up North though - I am now down with the lingo (neeps and tatties anyone?) but more importantly, I have some new words which I can take with me for use in any other part of the world. For example, "a Jonathan" is a standard unit of measurement of volume, and more particularly, how large a particular piece of furniture is and how much space it fills up. To get a better grasp of how large each standard unit is, one would have to think of a space which is slightly larger than a small child, but smaller than a dwarf. See attached picture for a better idea. I can safely say that whilst tall, Stumpy is sadly not a Jonathan. However several other pieces in the workshop are, including the bowl which the Mexican is turning for his new coffee table, a dog bed, a side board and a drinks cabinet.
A Jonathan - the standard unit of measurement of volume in furniture.
In addition to going around the workshop measuring how big things are (see above), which is much fun but only occupies so much time, we've had a little jaunt to Glasgow this week to visit the Burrell collection and the Glasgow School of Art. I was certainly impressed by Mackintosh and the Glasgow School of Art was well worth the visit. I can also happily say that we got back safe and sound and no one got glassed or stabbed for being foreign. On that happy note, I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I am certainly planning on one myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment