Thursday 16 May 2013

Half term. Again.

So here are the shiny things all done and dusted - not quite as shiny as Ewan's, but still shiny. Gilding has proved much trickier than first anticipated - too little water and the gold leaf doesn't stick too well, but too much water and it leaves water stains on the piece. Goldilocks syndrome aside, the burnishing bit (ie the bit where you make it go even shinier) has been, for me, the trickiest part. Every time I try to rub it harder to achieve the desired effect, I end up ripping off bits of gold leaf by accident.
Hamish looking a little dorky

Finished distressed verre eglomise panel
Another month gone, and we're up to the half term break. Everyone seems to be getting a bit more serious now that yet another month has flown by (school's almost out, yikes!). People are starting to prepare for life after school (boo to having to go back to the real world), with business plans, websites and business cards all in the offing, wood being stockpiled, machines and tools bought, etc. Me? So far I've finished my portfolio and managed to put some of my pictures up on flicker  (http://www.flickr.com/photos/madebymae/). Guess you've got to start somewhere.

The secret project is making some progress, although at a slower pace than anticipated. I thought it would be much quicker building something with no blasted curves in it, but sadly not. Can't seem to get away from the routing though. Now that I'm pretty much in the middle of this project, I'm starting to think about the next one and wondering what I can make - any suggestions would be appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment