Thursday 6 June 2013

Catch-up.


A signature inflection
A multitude of woods
This week is catch-up week, which means time to catch up on unfinished projects and/or start new ones  of course! There is some scrambling in the workshop as exhibition draws near and people try to finish a myriad of pieces in time for the exhibition. But the burst of good weather has also tempered the frenetic activity as we all try to make the most of the 5 days of sunshine we will have this summer.


Now in the course of the last 8 months of so, I've managed to squirrel away lots of little bits of wood under my desk - bits too pretty to throw away or rescued from the off-cuts bin. I've made a couple of wee chopping boards out of these, but there are really only so many of those that one household needs, and I've been struggling for some time to think of a good use to put them to. A while back, I toyed with making an entire piece out of off-cuts, but this got lost somewhere along the way. This week though, Sandy and Ewan very handily reminded me of the potential of these pretty pieces of wood, and since I had a spare table frame lying about, well the story just about writes itself. With the application of many clamps, some glue and lots of sanding - viola, a pretty little side table was born.


I've also decided to embark on a new project this week - building some bedside cabinets for my sister for her birthday. By the time I finish the course, I suspect her lovely house will be operating as a gallery/show room for my work!

One final update for this week - the secret project has been completed and unveiled to the intended recipient. Patrick, my first client proper, was well pleased with the end result, which makes me feel super chuffed! I am even more pleased that this piece that I have built with my own hands is going to a good home and one I get to visit from time to time too!

Tron enjoying the sunshine
Tron, the mighty robot

No comments:

Post a Comment