Friday 27 July 2012

A surfeit of footstools.

My slippered chair

So, despite the quiet stretch blogwise, I've actually been busy beavering away in the background on various upholstery projects. As a result I'm currently inundated by footstools, and one slippered chair.

If I've not mentioned this before, upholstery is hard work! After three weeks of upholstery, the strain on my little hands (unused to anything more strenuous than picking up the occasional pen before now) has caused them to curl into little crab-like claws (think Zoidberg). But I can safely say that it has all been worth it and I'm enjoying every moment of it! Hopefully all this means is that by the time Scotland comes round (fingers crossed the whole visa debacle will be settled favourably soon!), I'll be callused and hardened like a builder and it will make the woodworking easy-peasy.

Working with fabric to transform old worn out items of furniture into kooky creations has been immensely satisfying. It just constantly astounds me how draping a different piece of fabric on a piece changes the look and feel of it all so completely. I'm completely in love with fabric at the moment and have had a hard time trying to curb myself from trying to buy up an arsenal of material with which to upholster things with. Its a real shame that I've managed to miss the bulk of the summer sales, or I would have a lot more lovely fabric to play with!

Having finished my very first unsupervised project, I'd probably give myself a B+? Part of the problem is the tools - having to work with what I've managed to accumulate thus far, and making it work. I guess the real test is if anyone else can tell the difference!

Footstool No 2
Footstool No 3 (Before)
Footstool No 3 (After)

Footstool No 4 (Before)
Footstool No 4 (After)

No comments:

Post a Comment