Monday 30 July 2012

Tools of the trade.

Taking it apart for hours of sharpening
My spanking new planes 


I have decided to take a wee break from upholstery to get back to basics and do what I originally set out to do, namely woodworking, by enrolling in a two-week furniture making taster course in Sussex.

By the end of the first day, I have managed to spend more moolah on tools and a total of 5 hours sharpening my pretties (with 2 hours for assorted tea breaks in between). It feels quite momentous as these are the first proper tools of my new trade, which I will (hopefully) use and cherish for a long, long time (upholstery supplies notwithstanding).

The current course is with John Lloyd, who according to people in the know (ie everyone else on the course!) is quite well-known for  cabinet making.
Here's the link to John's website: http://www.johnlloydfinefurniture.co.uk/

The pace has been relatively slow compared to the upholstery courses I've been on, although things may pick up over the next couple of days. Nonetheless, this hasn't stopped me from feeling quite bewildered at times. Am feeling slightly like a fish out of water, surrounded by testosterone and being treated like a little girl on a frolic. Sigh. One of the few times when not looking your age is actually a draw back.

Am finding my new planes quite heavy and unwieldy, and having a little trouble getting flat/straight shavings on my test runs. And I have been putting my back into it, I promise! Hopefully practice will make perfect, but only time will tell.

The only other gripe I have (and those adverse to girly-girl behaviour, please look away now) is that I now understand why all the cabinet makers/carpenters I've met to date have such grubby, dirty little fingers. It is neigh impossible getting all the bits of grit/oil/etc out of the ridges on your fingers, much less the stuff that gets into your nails. There goes my manicure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment