Saturday 7 July 2012

Discipline (or a lack thereof).

I never thought this would be a problem for me, but I have been told on good authority (ie Bob, my upholstery tutor), that I lack discipline. I've managed to breach the cardinal rule of carpentry - "Measure thrice, cut once!" on numerous occasions, and resulting in one near disastrous incident with top fabric.

Although this hasn't come as a complete surprise (queue my cutting things out by eye without measuring etc), nonetheless its a bit of a reality check. As a lawyer I was always diligent to a fault and attention to detail was something that I have never lacked. Strange then that this somewhat critical skill for a craftsman (and being one of the few skills from my previous life which has any relevance to what I am doing now) has not managed to translate across.

Whilst its something that I should be able to remedy by application of enough willpower, its also quite daunting. So far, the least enjoyable of the endeavours I've embarked upon has been the measuring and remeasuring (with tacking and retacking coming a close second!). Time to get with capital "D" and quit trying to rush things/shortcut the process I guess.
Repeat after me "Measure thrice, cut once!"

2 comments:

  1. "As a lawyer I was always diligent to a fault and attention to detail was something that I have never lacked."

    As a student, you were the same. Haha. So diligent it was... freaky. :p

    So... aha! Mae Ai is human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, Sheep, good to hear from you! Catch up when I'm next back. Hope all is well otherwise.
      x

      Delete