Thursday 21 June 2012

Bread.


Is this smooth enough? Guess we'll find out
So this post is not related to woodworking, upholstery or any other crafty matters. But seeing as to how I've had so much fun doing it, I thought I would share this as well.

Starting off...doesn't look like much
I baked bread for the first time this morning. And boy, was it satisfying. Kneaded the dough to "satiny smoothness" per recipe (or as near as I can get it) and am now waiting for it to raise so that I can knock it all back again. A lack of time up until now has meant that I am a little late to the baking game, but better late than never! I've been itching to this for a while now, inspired by the pictures that my friend David keeps posting of his bready adventures and a weekend jaunt to a lovely Shropshire farm over the May bank holiday where fresh bread and newly laid eggs kicked off a fest of gluttony (with a couple of easy walks in between).

The dough has quite a weird and unexpected consistency when kneading - you can feel it trying to rise at the same time, so much so it feels like its almost alive. I found the whole thing slightly off-putting to be honest, almost like having a fat white grub trying to escape being squashed. Almost enough to put me off bread making again.

...I'm not convinced its meant to look like this. But at least its ready just in time for lunch! Am hoping it will taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment