Monday 25 June 2012

Auctions.

I went to my very first auction a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't really sure what to expect as you don't really get any auctions out in Malaysia where I grew up (not the done thing buying old stuff, we want everything to be new and shiny). I got a little over-excited at the auction and couldn't resist a spur of the moment purchase, and was unpleasantly surprised by the concept of a buyer's fee which pretty much doubled the price of what I bought (an old 1970s movie poster for those curious Joe's out there). Having been to one, I now consider myself an old-hand and am ready to get down to some serious auctioneering.

I went off to auction again last Saturday in hopes that I would find something good (especially since scouring second hand furniture shops in the East End didn't seem to be doing the trick) and came away with a couple of rolls of fabric for practice, but sadly, no furniture. There was a lovely set of three chairs going for £12, but for some bizarre reason my nerves failed me at the last minute and I didn't bid on them. Have been kicking myself about it all weekend as its now week two of my furniture hunt and I'm still coming up empty!

I'll give myself one last try this Saturday and if I don't find anything I might give up on auctions for a bit. Does anyone have any bright sparks as to where else I can find cheap furniture to upholster?!
Bargain fabric, no chairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment